National Wage Increase
Award wages up by 3.5% from July 1 2018
Please be advised The Fair Work Commission has this morning granted award-reliant workers a 3.5% increase, lifting the national minimum wage by $24.30 a week or 64 cents an hour in this year's annual wage review ruling. The new weekly minimum wage will be $719.20 – or $18.93 an hour – from July 1 2018.
Calculation of NMW and modern award minimum wages
The current weekly national minimum wage (NMW) is $694.90.
- The increase of 3.5 per cent is applied to the current weekly NMW. $694.90 x (1+ (3.5/100)) = $719.22
- To obtain the new weekly NMW, this rate is rounded to the nearest 10 cents.
$719.22 → $719.20
The current hourly NMW is $18.29.
To calculate the hourly NMW, the new weekly NMW is divided by 38, based on a 38-hour week for a full-time employee.
$719.20 / 38 = $18.9263
- To obtain the new hourly NMW, this rate is rounded to the nearest cent. $18.9263→ 18.93
The NMW will increase by $24.30 per week ($719.20 – $694.90) or 64 cents per hour ($18.93 – $18.29).
Further Information Members
Fair Work Pay Guides and THA Specific Quick reference pay guides and links will be provided to members as soon as possible to all members to assist with the changes as per below.
- Hospitality Industry General Award 2010
- Restaurant Industry Award 2010
- Registered Licenced Clubs Award 2010
- General Retail Industry Award 2010
THA will also have all awards and links for members in our Employment Relations section of our members area including links to the Fair Work Website.
For further information, feel free to contact the THA by phone or send an email to Merv Saltmarsh Employment Relations / Business Improvement Manager at email@example.com.